So this may have happened yesterday. And for once, I didn't have a single drop of alcohol in my system when I pulled the trigger (while lying in bed at 7:30am):
I've been casually looking for a Dressage saddle to get me by (to a Third Level schooling show, at which point Husband of the Year has promised to buy me a custom Dressage saddle) for a while. My criteria were as follows:
- Must be well-reviewed for fitting Cobs and Cob-type backs
- Must actually fit well when it gets here
- Must be something I'm excited to ride in. Knowing my CWD is sitting in the barn every time I ride in this saddle sort of sucks (YES THAT'S A FIRST WORLD PROBLEM) so I have to be happy about it.
- Must be cheap enough that I can make a profit on it if it doesn't work and I have to re-sell it.
- Must be Mary-approved. I know it won't be trainer-approved, and that's okay.
|Really not the most challenging back to fit, as far as ponies go.|
That's how I ended up making an offer, which was accepted, on an almost brand new (demo) Thorowgood T8 for $550. Thorowgoods are built on the same trees as Kent & Masters and Fairfax, so I feel good about the choice shape-wise.
My trainer, after falling in love with the fit and quality of my CWD, won't be happy until I get something on par with it. While I can't blame her and would love a CWD Dressage saddle, I just can't afford that right now. So this will either work well enough to get me by, or it'll be for sale the day after it gets here. Fingers crossed! It should be here next week.