So. Following my Saturday post.
I've made a Very Big Decision.
I'm moving Connor.
|No matter where I go, I'll have to deal with a downgrade in arena footing. I have been so spoiled.|
I know there are people in parts of the country with options when it comes to barns, and changing barns is not a big deal. In my area, there are almost no options. Once you're in a good spot, you don't really move, unless you buy your own farm.
I've been at my barn for six years now, five as a boarder. I have absolutely no problems with it, it's perfect in every way, besides the 80 mile round trip from my house, and the fact that it puts me too far from the Dressage trainer I'd like to haul into every so often.
|This is the non-horse trailer drive time Google Maps says it takes for me to go from my house, to my barn, to my Dressage trainer's barn, back to the barn, and back to my house. And she doesn't teach on weekends!|
You have to have a Plan B at all times as a boarder, though, and there's only one Plan B I'd ever consider in this area. I actually toured it a few years ago when my trainer raised board prices and I freaked out about money. It was built in 2006, has an indoor and an outdoor, feeds Tribute (which Connor is already on), has trailer parking, has lovely big stalls with auto waterers, and only boards a max of 7 horses at a time (4 at the moment). Oh, and it's three miles from my house.
(Cue Connor's breeder going: "It's THREE MILES FROM YOUR HOUSE?!")
Yeah, I literally cannot even imagine my horse being under 10 minutes from my house, but I'm about to find out what that's like. I didn't end up moving him when I looked at it the first time because I didn't have a truck and trailer back then, but now that I do, I can haul out for lessons.
(And hence the need to get a trailer Connor actually likes - he's about to start spending a lot of quality time in there.)
|Same round trip as above, but from possible new barn.|
My trainer is on board with this plan. I started to talk about how I'm riding less because of the drive and my life, and she understands completely and suggested this barn as an option now that I can haul in for lessons. Little did she know her suggestion has been my Plan B for years. We've all tentatively agreed on May 1-ish as my move out date.
|Possible new place|
There are two very big things that have to happen in order for me to be able to make this move though: I have to get the trailer situation settled, and I have to get a Dressage saddle, since I currently co-own mine with a girl at my current barn.
It's nerve wracking, but I think it's the right move.